NMFS announced a 90-day finding on two petitions to list white marlin (Kajikia albidus) as threatened or endangered under the Endangered Species Act (ESA). We find that the petitions do not present substantial scientific information indicating that the petitioned action may be warranted.
On January 4, 2013, the Office of Management and Budget approved the new version of the Coast Guard forms used to apply for a Merchant Mariner Credential:
- 719B Application
- 719K Medical Evaluation
- 719KE Evaluation of Fitness for Entry Level Ratings
- 719S Small Vessel Sea Service
- 719P Periodic Drug Testing
The Marine Fisheries Advisory Committee (MAFAC) are meeting to recommend a list of new members to participate on the Recreational Fisheries Working Group for submission to the NOAA Fisheries Assistant Administrator.
The meeting is scheduled for January 30, 2013, 3-4 p.m., Eastern Daylight Time.
Twice before in NOAAs history, they have pulled together fishery leaders and stakeholders from around the country to discuss U.S. fisheries management and chart a course for the future. NACO's Executive Director, Bobbi Walker was a panelist on the 1st Managing Our Nation's Fisheries Conference in San Diego, California.
AAA has warned against potential damage that a new blend of gasoline could do to some engines. The Environmental Protection Agency has certified that all vehicles from 2001 and newer can run on E15. But, says Eric Evarts with Consumer Reports, many automakers "have said that they will not honor warrantees for cars running on E15, even among the cars that the EPA says can run it."
The Coast Guard seeks applications for membership on the National Boating Safety Advisory Council (NBSAC). This Council advises the Coast Guard on recreational boating safety regulations and other major boating safety matters.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume in time to reach Mr. Jeff Ludwig, the Alternate Designated Federal Officer (ADFO) on or before March 11, 2013.
A federal agency is in the first phase of a project to curb human-caused undersea noises that experts worry could be affecting ocean mammals. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's project is looking to document noises across the globe to generate one of the first large-scale sound maps. The sea spans more than 70 percent of the Earth's surface, making the project a major undertaking. So far, dozens of the ocean visualizations have been made public. The maps use bright colors to depict the annual average noise that permeates through the waters in particular areas.
2011 National Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife Associated Recreation Final National Report Released
Wildlife-related outdoor recreation increased dramatically from 2006 to 2011. The national details are shown in the Final Report of the 2011 National Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife-Associated Recreation released today by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service). The Final Report, which follows the August 2012 Preliminary Review and the September 2012 State Overview, provides more information on the types of activities and money spent for fishing, hunting, and wildlife watching.
33.1 million people fished!
Supreme Court Reverses Ninth Circuit: Absent a "Discharge of a Pollutant" Receiving Water Exceedances are not a Violation of Clean Water Act
The Supreme Court reinforced that a "discharge of pollutants means any addition of any pollutant to navigable waters from any point source.
NACO Annual Board of Directors Meeting
January 28th-29th 2013
Monday January 28, 2013
• 8:30-8:45 AM
Call meeting to order and introductions (President Bob Zales, II)
Roll Call (Executive Director Bobbi Walker)
• 8:45-8:50 AM
Adoption of Agenda (President Bob Zales, II)
• 8:50-9:00 AM
Approval of Minutes (President Bob Zales, II)
• 9:00-12:00 AM
Bylaws Article 6 Section 12 “Removal for Cause” of Board Members/Charges
NACO contract with Charter Lakes
NACO contract with C’est Si Bon, Independent Contractor Status & MOU
• 12:00 AM-12:30 NOON
• 12:30-1:00 PM
Charter Lakes Insurance- Presentation by Dan Longman
• 1:00-2:30 PM
Executive Director Report- Bobbi Walker
2014 & 2015 Meeting location discussion
• 2:30-4:30 PM
1. Fisheries Captain Bob Zales, II
2. USCG Committee- Captain Ed O’Brien
3. Marketing- Captain Paul Malo
4. Action Plan- Dave Pecci
5. Newsletter Committee- Scott Robson
6. Communication/Website- Gary Krein
• 4:30 PM – 5:00 PM
1. NACO Corporate Governance
2. Retired Membership Category
3. Professional Member category
4. Amend bylaws to allow unlicensed captains to serve on board
5. Unlicensed Guides Membership Category
6. Recreational angler category-advisory seat on board
7. Criteria for Board Nominations & Announcement of seats available
8. Define geographic board representation & correction for 2 out of sync seats
9. Number of board seats
10. Add electronic email to accepted form of voting
11. NACO Policy requiring Sponsoring Assn. to pay for All Captain Members
12. Regional Fishery Issues
13. USCG TWIC Requirements
14. News Report
15. NACO Toll Free Number
16. Attitude Award Committee
17. Record keeping and archived record access
18. Promoting business for membership (website)
19. Term Limits (officers and board)
20. Annual meeting and use of GoToMeeting- quarterly Board meetings?
21. Results of 2012 Membership Survey
22. Clarification and possible policies for removal of staff, officers or board members due to “conduct contrary to the best interest of the Association”
23. Code of Conduct for staff, officers and board members
24. BOD attendance by telephone, recorded as BOD member attending
25. Develop Policy for members selling items to membership
Tuesday January 29, 2013
• 8:30-11:30 AM
Continuation of issues to discuss
• 11:30-12:00 PM
• 12:00-1:00 PM
Continuation of issues to discuss
• 1:00-2:00 PM
2012 Financial Report (Treasurer Ron Maglio)
2013 Budget Recommendation (Treasurer Ron Maglio)
Moving funds for optimum interest (when & who)
• 2:00 PM- 3:00 PM
Announcement of new Board members
Election of Officers for 2013 (Board of Directors)
More Articles ...
- Merchant Mariner Medical Advisory Committee To Meet January 8 & 9
- Comments Wanted on Draft of Education, Research and Application of Science
- Beginning of National Science Program Reviews for NOAA Fisheries
- Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
- Schedule of Fees for Access to NOAA Data, Information, and Related Products and Services
- Comment on Medical Waivers for Merchant Mariner Credential Applicants With Anti-Tachycardia Devices or Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators
- Jane Lubchenco to leave NOAA in Feburary
- DOT Office of Drug and Alcohol Policy and Compliance Notice
- Saltwater Sportsman’s Editor in Chief Speaks Out After Election
- TWIC – Mobile Enrollment and Activation Services
- House Approves Two-Year U.S. Coast Guard Bill
- Recreational Fisheries Working Group Nominations Sought
- NOAA Fisheries Appoints Senior Scientist for Ecosystem-Based Management
- Unveiling SBA's New Online Learning Center for Small Businesses & Entrepreneurs
- Gap Potential for Satellite Coverage
- Marine Protected Areas Federal Advisory Committee December Meeting
- Comment Request on Revision and Extension Information Collection
- "Pickling" Your Engine
- Updated Information on STCW
- New Requirements For Commercial Fishing Industry Vessels